- + Ι’ Ματθαίου. 10th Sunday of Matthew
- Orthros 8:45 am, Divine Liturgy 10:00 am
- Festival baking: Pastitsio
- + Μέγας Εσπερινός. Great Vespers 7:00 pm with His Eminence Met. Nikitas of Dardanelles
- A dessert reception including loukoumades (donated by Vickie Hennig, Stelio & Stacie
- Zoumberakis) will follow, sponsored by Philoptochos.
- + Κοίμησις Υπεραγίας Θεοτόκου. Dormition of our Holy Mother.
- Orthros – 9:00 am. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy – 10:00 am with His Eminence Met. Nikitas of Dardanelles. A luncheon celebration follows, sponsored by the Parish Council.
- Festival baking: Kourabiedes/Karidopita 8:00 am
- Futsal league 6pm – 7:15 pm
- + ΙA’ Ματθαίου. 11th Sunday of Matthew
- Orthros 8:45 am, Divine Liturgy 10:00 am
Saints and Feasts
10th Sunday of Matthew
Apodosis of the Transfiguration
Maximus the Confessor – The divine Maximus, who was from Constantinople, sprang from an illustrious family. He was a lover of wisdom and an eminent theologian. At first, he was the chief private secretary of the Emperor Heraclius and his grandson Constans. But when the Monothelite heresy became predominant in the royal court, out of hatred for this error the Saint departed for the Monastery at Chrysopolis (Scutari), of which he later became the abbot. When Constans tried to constrain him either to accept the Monothelite teaching, or to stop speaking and writing against it – neither of which the Saint accepted to do – his tongue was uprooted and his right hand was cut off, and he was sent into exile, where he reposed in 662. At the time only he and his few disciples were Orthodox in the East. See also January 21.
We are honored to have His Eminence Metropolitan Nikitas of Dardanelles grace our Panagia community for Great Vespers and the Dormition of our Holy Mother.
- August 14, Great Vespers 7:00pm.
- August 15, Dormition of our Holy Mother. Orthros 9:00 am. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy 10 am. Let us all join together to celebrate our Church’s Feast Day.
Father Christo’s Vacation – Father Christos will be out of the office from August 16 to August 26. For pastoral emergencies please call Father John Constantine at St. George church in Downey at 562-862-6461
Donations for the Feast of the Assumption – We are accepting donations now for flowers to decorate the Church for the feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos August 15. We are asking all of you who are celebrating your name day to make a donation to the Name Day Luncheon. All contributions may be given to any Parish Council member or sent to the Church office.
Social Hour – Sponsored by Philoptochos.
- Monday August 14, the evening before the celebration of our feast day, Philoptochos will be hosting a Lenten Dessert Buffet. We are asking all of you to bring your favorite Lenten dessert to share that evening. If you have any questions, please call the church office. Once again Vickie Hennig and Stacy & Stelios Zoumberakis will donate the delicious loukoumades.
- Attention all Philoptochos members! Please meet in front of the church on Sunday August 13th immediately after Divine Liturgy, to have a group picture taken. This picture will appear in the festival’s ad book. Let’s all show our support for Philoptochos and our festival. See you there!
Philoptochos & Sunday School: Backpack Project! – Every summer Philoptochos and Sunday school are collecting backpacks and school supplies for those kids are less fortunate. What you need to do? Simply buy a backpack and/or supplies and bring them to the church on a Sunday or weekday. The collection starts in June and will go on July and August.
In case you don’t have time to shop a $30 check will help purchase what needed. Please make the check payable to “Assumption Philoptochos”
Stewardship – If your name does not appear in the list, please return your 2017 Stewardship Card as soon as possible. Your Stewardship provides the foundation for our Parish Ministries for the year. Above all, your presence and participation in our community is most treasured.
Bookstore – Come and visit our bookstore at the hall during coffee hour. You may also contact Zoe Falley at 714-366-0001 or Voula at the church office at 562-494-8929.
Panagia’s Pantry – We are collecting:
- Non perishable/canned foods
Upcoming Memorial Services – August 27- Gerasimos Toumasis (1 year)
Festival Baking Schedule – Get those aprons on and join the fun and fellowship as we prepare our delicious pastries for the festival! Everyone is welcome to come and help; even if it is for a few hours!
We will be baking on the following days:
- Wednesday, August 16 Kourabiedes/Karidopita
- Wednesday, August 23 Diples
Start Time 8:00 am. Lunch will be provided!
- Voula (office) 562-494-8929
- Yiota Beckas 562-235-1494
- Kathy Bastas 657-464-0596
See you in the kitchen and thank you for making this a successful baking experience! We couldn’t do it without you!